Friday 10 December 2010

Tripods.

Okay, so I spent about 2 hours yesterday researching tripods.

It was SO EXCITING!!!

I originally wanted to find out if there is a tripod head which can securely hold a projector. If it's anything less than completely secure, Livvy's dad might worry about the safety of his projector...
Well, no one really makes projector-specific ones, but there are a few which are designed for laptops, and VCRs(?), apparently. This would be ideal for quick setups and touring where no ceiling mount is available.


Then I uncovered what seems like a secret cult of photographers who love their laptops so much that they can't resist having both a laptop and a camera on one tripod. Most of these systems are some kind of horizontal bar which fits to the tripod head...



The combined weight of a bar like this, the projector and my SLR would be about 6KG. This is actually quite a lot, which I never realised back in German lessons in year 8 when in my ignorance I ordered 20KG of apples in an oral exam.
So it goes without saying that a good tripod would be needed to support a system like this.

Researching my own tripod that I have used since the days of animating plasticine blobs - the one you can see in some of our production images - I have uncovered that not only is it a study tripod capable of supporting such weight, but also that it is over 30 years old! Wow. Apparently, that's a good thing. There's hardly any parts that aren't made of solid gunmetal.

Maybe I should add some tripod accessories to my Christmas list!  

No comments:

Post a Comment