Saturday 23 April 2011

Long file is long

There must be something wrong with me, making a decision to work with such a ridiculously large file when I know there are simpler, quicker solutions. But frankly, they can't be as fun and effective as this!

The aim is to represent a film reel coming to an end, as part of some sort of technical malfunction. I was interested in creating that familiar effect where the speed of the film changes and makes the image appear to move up or down. I could have just animated the whole screen to physically move up and down to suggest this, but I think this would have looked too fake.

So, instead, I decided to actually make a digital piece of film reel, consisting of 25 frames. This one image is 25 times the length of 1080p. (Not the one I uploaded here, this is about 10% of the full image!)

Then, I bought this into After Effects and made it moooove real fast, downwards. I perfected the keyframes to make the car move up and down nicely.

A good few hour's work for what will be ONE SECOND of the film.

Isn't it great being an animator.......? :D

No comments:

Post a Comment